Cisco IOS Firewall helps ensure your network's availability and the security of your company's resources by protecting the network infrastructure against network- and application-layer attacks, viruses, and worms. It protects unified communications by guarding Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) endpoints and call-control resources. Cisco IOS Firewall is a stateful firewall solution, certified by Common Criteria (EAL4).
Suitable for branch offices, small to medium business environments, or managed services, Cisco IOS Firewall effectively controls application traffic on the network. A fundamental part of the Cisco Integrated Threat Control framework, it works with other Cisco IOS security features, including Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System (IPS), IOS Content Filtering, and IOS Network Address Translation (NAT), to create a completely integrated branch-office perimeter security solution.
Cisco IOS Firewall:
- Protects network resources -- Uses existing routing capabilities to offer distributed threat mitigation of worms, viruses, and other network and application-layer threats and exploits
- Helps lower total cost of ownership -- Reduces equipment footprint and minimizes power consumption
- Increases deployment flexibility -- Offers options for transparent and virtual firewall policies on wide variety of WAN, WLAN, LAN and VLAN interfaces
- Helps achieve regulatory compliance -- Provides policy-based access control to help meet Payment Card Industry (PCI), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), and other regulations
- Improves the integrity of Cisco Unified Communications -- Helps ensure that critical unified communications services, such as gateways and other UC network resources, remain available and resistant to potential exploits