The Cisco ASR 1004 Router in a 4-rack unit (RU) form factor supports up to 8 shared port adapters (SPAs) and comes with one route processor and one embedded services processor slot. This provides flexibility for future upgrades, enhancing control plane and data plane scalability. The Cisco ASR 1004 Router provides up to 20 Gbps throughput support, making it a very cost-effective edge solution.
Running on Cisco IOS XE Software, the Cisco ASR 1004 router supports software redundancy without redundant hardware.
Enterprise routing solutions use the Cisco ASR 1004 as a:
- High-performing edge solution for the private WAN
- WAN aggregation or Internet gateway device
Service provider routing solutions use the Cisco ASR 1004:
- As a broadband Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) access concentrator (LAC) or L2TP Network Server (LNS)
- At the Layer 3 VPN (L3VPN) provider edge
- At a high-end route reflector