The 9-slot Cisco Catalyst 6509 Enhanced Vertical Switch (6509-V-E) provides capabilities to support system bandwidth capacity (80 Gbps per slot) up to 1440 Gbps and enhanced cable management capabilities. It also provides front-to-back airflow that is optimized for hot and cold aisle designs in colocated data center and service provider deployments and is compliant with Network Equipment Building Standards (NEBS) deployments.
Cisco Catalyst 6500 E-Series chassis offer exceptional investment protection by supporting multiple generations of products on the same chassis, thereby reducing total ownership costs. The Cisco Catalyst 6509-V-E chassis supports both the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32 and Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720 family, along with associated LAN, WAN, and services modules.
The Cisco Catalyst 6509-V-E supports all Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series modules, including:
- All Supervisor Engines 720 and 32
- 10 Gigabit Ethernet modules
- Gigabit Ethernet modules
- 10/100/1000 Ethernet modules (with optional IEEE 802.3af Power-over-Ethernet [PoE])
- Fast Ethernet modules (with optional IEEE 802.3af PoE)
- Flex WAN modules
- Shared Port Adaptors/SPA Interface Processors
- Multi-Gigabit services modules (Application Control Engine, Firewall, Intrusion detection, IP Security [IPsec], network analysis, and Wireless)
The Cisco Catalyst 6509-V-E also supports the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Virtual Switching System 1440 when used with the Virtual Switching Supervisor 720-10G.
In addition to providing maximum uptime with redundancy and rapid (1- to 3-second) stateful failover across supervisor engines, the Cisco Catalyst 6509-V-E supports modular Cisco IOS Software. This helps minimize unplanned downtime through self-healing processes and simplifies software changes through subsystem in-service software upgrades.